Ma’ Kaira linguini with red pesto
Ingredients for 4 people
- 100 gr sundried tomatoes *
- 100 gr raw, skinless almonds (put in the freezer the day before; this trick keeps the almonds from heating up and losing their oils when ground)
- Fresh rosemary
- Coarse salt, as needed
- 50 cl Extra Virgin olive oil by Casino di Caprafico *
- 400 gr Ma’Kaira linguini *
- 100 gr toasted and julienned almonds
- Cruschi peppers of Matera *
- Hot olive oil (from the Golden Habanero) *
This pasta is like a cure-all… Spelt and barley are two alternative grains to wheat that are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that help metabolize fat. These linguini have an intense flavour, a rough texture, and are delicious when served with just a bit of extra virgin olive oil (incidentally, it’s perfect with the olive oil made from the same producer, Casino di Caprafico).
Boil the sundried tomatoes in abundant, unsalted water until they’re very soft. Conserve half a glass of the tomato water and drain the rest.
In a food processor, grind the raw, frozen almonds with the rosemary until the mixture obtains a very fine texture, almost like grains of sand; add the drained sundried tomatoes, 50 cl of extra virgin olive oil, half a glass of tomato water, and process until you get a smooth pesto.
Boil 8 liters of water in a tall pot with 2 tablespoons of coarse salt. Once boiling, add the Ma’Kaira linguini, leaving them untouched until the boiling water completely covers them, at which point you should gently stir the pasta occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat after 4 minutes, leave the linguini in the hot water for another minute, then drain. In a serving bowl, carefully mix the pesto with the linguini until the pesto is well distributed.
Serve the linguini on separate plates and garnish with the toasted almonds, crumbled cruschi peppers, and a bit of spicy Golden Habanero oil.
* Products included in Box 05 Italian Passion